It’s difficult to imagine that three random words have the power to both map the globe and protect your private data. The secret behind this amazing power is just a little bit of math.
What3words is an app and web-based service that provides a geographic reference for every 3-meter-by-3-meter square on Earth using three random words. If your brain operates more naturally in the Imperial measurement system, 3 meters is about 9.8 feet. So, you could think of them as approximately 10-foot-by-10-foot squares, which is about the size of a small home office or bedroom. As an example, there’s a square in the middle of the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers Turf Field coded to brilliance.bronze.inputs.
This new approach to geocoding is quite useful for several reasons. First, it’s more precise than regular street addresses. In addition, three words are easier for humans to remember and communicate to one another than, say, detailed latitude and longitude measurements. Because of this, the system is well suited for emergency services. With these advantages, some car manufacturers are even starting to integrate what3words into their navigation systems.
- The Hidden Mathematics of Crowds: How Pedestrians Inadvertently Self-Organize
- New Theory Suggests That the Origin of Life on Earth-Like Planets Is Likely
- Where Do Fears Come From? How Can New Insights Improve Treatment?
- With a Twist: New Composite Materials With Highly Tunable Electrical and Physical Properties
- AI Reveals Unsuspected Connections Hidden in the Complex Math Underlying Search for Exoplanets
- Challenging Past Assumptions: Light From Outside Our Galaxy Much Brighter Than Expected
- Lost for Centuries: Scientists Discover Texts From an Ancient Astronomical Catalog
- CORBEVAX: New Patent-Free COVID-19 Vaccine Could Be a Pandemic Game Changer Globally
- 2021 – A Year Physicists Asked, “What Lies Beyond the Standard Model?”
- Genomic Sequencing: How Researchers Identify COVID-19 Variants Like Delta and Omicron
- Space Interferometer Constellation To Reveal Elusive Gravitational Wave Sources and Unravel the Universe
- Unlocking Nature’s Disappearing Act: Human Cells Decipher the Secrets of Squid Camouflage
- Deadly Teeth of T. rex Were Hidden Behind Scaly Lips, Shattering Prehistoric Perceptions
- New Species of Ancient Beaver Named After Buc-ee’s
- Zapping Microplastics Out of Our Waterways With Pulsing Ultrasound Waves
- Tinnitus Takedown: Top Tips From a Hearing Specialist
- Nasal Vaccines: Stopping the COVID-19 Virus Before It Reaches the Lungs
- Beware of Fungi in Flour: It Won’t Turn You Into a Zombie, but It Can Make You Sick
- Daylight Saving Time: A Medical Nightmare? A Neurologist Weighs In
- Uncovering Why 13 Is Considered Unlucky – The Surprising Power of Its Bad Reputation