The Saudi International Petrochemical Company (Sipchem) has announced that its unit Saudi Specialized Products Company (SSPC) has begun commercial operations at the 4,000 MT EVA film factory in Hail Industrial City, near Riyadh in Saudi Arabia.
The company said in a filing with the local stock exchange that commercial production began at the $40 million EVA film plant after performance tests were conducted, and that the films produced at the facility will be sold to solar module manufacturers.
“The financial impact of full commercial operations will be reflected in the company’s financial results as of the first quarter of 2019,” the company stated.
When the EVA production facility project was first announced in late 2014, Sipchem said that its subsidiary Sipchem Chemicals Company (SCC) held a 75% stake in SSPC, while the remaining 25% was held by Korea-based Hanwha Chemical Corporation.
Spichem produces ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) through its International Polymers Company (IPC), which has an annual production capacity of 200,000 MT. The company is being provided with Ethylene by Jubail United Petrochemical Company, an affiliate of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), while vinyl acetate monomer (VAM) is being supplied by Sipchem’s unit International Vinyl Acetate Company Ltd.
Source: pv magazine