Why does gravity pull us down and not up?
Gravity is the reason things with mass or energy are attracted to each other. It is why apples fall toward the ground and planets orbit stars.
Magnets attract some types of metals, but they can also push other magnets away. So how come you feel only the pull of gravity?
In 1915, Albert Einstein figured out the answer when he published his theory of general relativity. The reason gravity pulls you toward the ground is that all objects with mass, like our Earth, actually bend and curve the fabric of the universe, called spacetime. That curvature is what you feel as gravity.
What Is Spacetime?
Before getting into the complicated world of gravity, you need to understand spacetime.
Spacetime is exactly what it sounds like: the three dimensions of space – length, width, and height – combined with the fourth dimension – time. Using some very brilliant math, Einstein was the first person to realize that the laws of physics work in a universe where space and time are merged together.
What this means is that space and time are connected – if you move really fast through space, time slows down for you compared to someone who is moving slowly. This is why astronauts – who are moving very fast in space – age a tiny bit more slowly than people on Earth.
- Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity Leads to Revolutionary Gravastar Model
- Einstein’s Twist: Princeton Astrophysicists Unravel the Mystery of Black Hole Jets and Galactic “Lightsabers”Einstein’s Twist: Princeton Astrophysicists Unravel the Mystery of Black Hole Jets and Galactic “Lightsabers”
- Universe Defies Einstein’s Predictions: Cosmic Structure Growth Mysteriously Suppressed
- Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Passes Strict Test Using Large High Altitude Air Shower Observatory
- New Atomic Clocks Measure Time Dilation of Einstein’s General Relativity at Millimeter Scale
- Beyond the Visible Universe: New Research Reveals How Gravity Influences the Quantum Realm
- Is Gravity Quantum? New Experiment To Probe Universe’s Deepest Mystery
- Beyond Einstein: A Solution to One of the Great Mysteries of Cosmology
- Reimagining the Cosmos: New Theory Unites Einstein’s Gravity With Quantum Mechanics
- Lost in Space: Is a Giant Void Driving the Universe Apart?
- Challenging Traditional Theories – Physicists Develop New Method To Quantify Quantum Entanglement
- Dark Matter Comes Into Focus With Groundbreaking Antarctic Research
- Harmonics Rewrite the Fundamental Equation for Superconducting Quantum Bits
- Magnesium Hydride: The Key to Sustainable Energy Storage?
- Quantum Breakthrough: New Method Preserves Information Against All Odds
- Counteracting Addiction: How Alcohol and Drugs Genetically Rewire Your Brain
- Unraveling the Mystery of Insects Circling Lights at Night
- Fiber’s Surprising Role in Brain, Immune System, and Overall Health
- Measles: The Most Infectious Disease Known to Science – Why Adults Need an MMR Vaccine Booster
- Astrophysics in Crisis? Mystery Object Discovered That Could Change Everything